Pages New

Thursday, March 6, 2014

RUNNING 101 - 30X30 - Day 28








Polka Dot Sweater: Forever 21 - Similar Here - $43   //   Mustard Skirt: H&M - Similar Here -  $28   //   
Heels: JLO for Kohls - Same Here - $30   //   Necklace - eBay   //   Belt: Fiore - Similar Here - $32 

I went for my longest/furthest run yesterday and am very proud of myself. As a dancer, running is something that I have never able to do. My stamina and endurance is just not there (although I can dance for 3 hours straight) The last time I ran was freshman year of high school in P.E., so attempting to run without being forced was certainly a reality check of adulthood. Regardless, i've been working towards increasing my distance and decreasing my time. Here are a few things i've learned:
  1. Run outside - It's so much easier then being on a treadmill. If you are anything like me then you will likely get bored and that makes running that much harder, especially when starting out.
  2. Start Small - When you start any workout regime it's important to know your limits. Walk/Run and it's okay if you walk more than you run. As you progress, you will start to see a shift. Give it time.
  3. Get An App - It's so great to be able to track your progress. I use 2 apps simultaneously (there is a reason I promise) Nike Run - which syncs with my Fuelband and 5K Runner
  4. Use 5k Runner - After an initial week of running, start using a 5k training app. I use 5k Runner but there are plenty of options. This app's program progresses with you and gives guidance on when to speed up and run or slow down and walk. I've in my second week of the program and highly recommend it. 
  5. Commit - There are 7 days in the week, commit to going for a run for 3 of them. Start with 20 minutes and work your way up. You could watch half a tv show or go for a run in 20 minutes, which is a better use of your time?

This weather is ideal for learning to run. As the days get longer, the evening will be the best time for you to get outdoors. You will want to start building habits now that can carry you into warmer months.  

Do you have any suggestions for someone who is starting to run? I'd love your advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment